A social media account, in particular, requires diligence when it comes to maintaining security. Instagram might be compromised if your password is weak or duplicated on other sites, or if your password has been compromised in a hack or data breach.
In just a few steps, you can change your Instagram password on your computer or mobile device. Instagram passwords must be changed through the Facebook settings, not Instagram if you log in with Facebook.
Here’s how to change your Instagram password on your mobile device
You can change your password in the mobile app on both iOS and Android.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap your account icon in the lower-right corner to go to your profile page.
Note: For multiple Instagram accounts, tap and hold the account icon at the bottom of the screen and select the account you want from the pop-up menu.
- Tap the three horizontal lines icon at the top-right of the screen and tap Settings.
5. Tap Security.
6. On the Security page, tap Password.
7. If you want to use a new password, you must enter your current password first. To save your changes, tap Save (if you’re using iOS) or checkmark (if you’re using Android).
Changing your Instagram password on desktop
- Open the Instagram website in a web browser.
- Click the account icon in the top-right of the window and, in the drop-down menu, click Profile.
- Click the gear icon to the right of the Edit Profile link.
- In the pop-up window, click Change Password.
- Enter your current password and then type the new password you want to use. When you’re done, click Change Password.
If you forget your Instagram password, here’s how to reset it
You may need to reset your password if you’ve lost it or forgotten it. On mobile apps or desktops, you can log in from the login screen.
- Open Instagram on your mobile device so you can log in. You can get help with logging in (if you’re using an Android phone) or reset your password by tapping Get help logging in (if you’re using an Android phone). (on iOS).
- Tap Next if you have an Android phone and enter your email address, phone number, or username. Choose the appropriate tab – Username or Phone – and enter the appropriate credential associated with your account, then tap Next.
- You’ll get a message with instructions to reset your password.
To reset your password, go to the Instagram website in a web browser and tap the Forgot password button under the username and password fields.
Enter your email address, phone number, or username and tap Send Login Link.
Your password will be reset by a message.